Current:Home > MyMichigan’s top court won’t revive Flint water charges against 7 key figures -Capitatum
Michigan’s top court won’t revive Flint water charges against 7 key figures
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:36:56
DETROIT (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a last-chance effort to revive criminal charges against seven people in the Flint water scandal, waving away an appeal by prosecutors who have desperately tried to get around a 2022 decision that gutted the cases.
The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including former Gov. Rick Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
State prosecutors, however, were undeterred. They returned to Flint courts and argued the charges could be easily revived with a simple refiling of documents. That position was repeatedly rejected all the way to the state’s highest court.
“We are not persuaded that the question presented should be reviewed by this court,” the Supreme Court said in a series of one-sentence orders Wednesday.
There was no immediate response to an email seeking comment from the attorney general’s office.
Orders were filed in cases against former state health director Nick Lyon, former state medical executive Eden Wells and five other people.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty, a misdemeanor. The indictment against him has been dismissed, too, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors Wednesday only because it was on a different timetable.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint city water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months.
Lyon and Wells were charged with involuntary manslaughter. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch. They were accused of not timely warning the public.
Indictments were also thrown out against Snyder’s former chief of staff, Jarrod Agen; another key aide, Rich Baird; former Flint Managers Gerald Ambrose and Darnell Earley; former city Public Works Director Howard Croft; and former health official Nancy Peeler.
Snyder acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of any crime.
Prosecutors could try to start from scratch. But any effort to file charges in a more traditional way against some of the targets now could get tripped up by Michigan’s six-year statute of limitations.
Since 2016, the attorney general’s office, under a Republican and now a Democrat, has tried to hold people criminally responsible for Flint’s water disaster, but there have been no felony convictions or jail sentences. Seven people pleaded no contest to misdemeanors that were later scrubbed from their records.
___
Follow Ed White at http://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (14114)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Flooding leaves Rapidan Dam in Minnesota in 'imminent failure condition': What to know
- Mindy Kaling Announces She Gave Birth to Baby No. 3 in February
- Tinx's Favorite Beauty Products Are So Easy To Use, Even if You’re Bad at Makeup
- IOC's decision to separate speed climbing from other disciplines paying off
- Team combs fire-ravaged New Mexico community for remains of the missing
- Dozens killed in Israeli strikes across northern Gaza amid continued West Bank violence
- Boeing Starliner return delayed again for spacewalks, study of spacecraft issues
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- XXL Freshman Class 2024: Cash Cobain, ScarLip, Lay Bankz, more hip-hop newcomers make the cut
Ranking
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- Retired Chicago police officer fatally shot outside home; 'person of interest' in custody
- A nonprofit got jobs for disabled workers in California prisons. A union dispute could end them
- Timeline of the Julian Assange legal saga over extradition to the US on espionage charges
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Judge sets $10 million bond for Venezuelan man accused of killing a 12-year-old Houston girl
- The Notebook Star Gena Rowlands Diagnosed With Alzheimer's Disease
- What Euro 2024 games are today? England, France, Netherlands vie for group wins
Recommendation
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Elon Musk welcomes third child with Neuralink executive. Here's how many kids he now has.
Amazon teams up with Megan Thee Stallion to promote its 10th Prime Day sales event
Disputed verdict draws both sides back to court in New Hampshire youth detention center abuse case
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
South Carolina runoff pits Trump candidate against GOP governor’s endorsement
Russian region of Dagestan holds a day of mourning after attacks kill 20 people, officials say
Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise’s Daughter Suri Drops Last Name for High School Graduation